As an artist, I’m intrigued by other artists. So, I study all types: painters, authors, poets, musicians, and photographers. By learning about them, it helps me be better as an artist. Who we are as people shows in our art. So, it’s interesting to find out who they are on a deeper level. Some wanted fame, some didn’t, some were indifferent – just doing it for the love of their art.
All of their stories are all compelling. But, a common theme is that a lot of them were extremely flawed human beings, some straddling the thin line between genius and insanity. Drug and alcohol abuse, traumas, and mental illnesses seemed to be prevalent. Thus, a lot of their stories have unhappy endings.
Video or Book
I love to read biographies and autobiographies, but I prefer to watch a good documentary (I have seen some not-so-good ones). One aspect of the videos that you don’t get in a book is the interviews. You get to hear the words coming from them.
So, I’m sharing with you some of my favorite artists and associated documentaries that I’ve enjoyed.
- Zimbelism (George Zimbel)
- Fred Lyon – Living Through the Lens
- Manet and the Birth of Impressionism (Edouard Manet)
- Jay Myself (Jay Maisel)
- American Masters: Wyeth (Andrew Wyeth)
- Nothing Changes: Art for Hank’s Sake (Hank Virgona)
- Bill Evans: Time Remembered
- Chasing Trane: The John Coltrane Documentary
- Miles Davis Birth of The Cool
- Jimi Hendrix: The Uncut Story
- American Masters: Basquiat (Jean-Michel Basquiat)
- Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child
- Seeing Daylight: The Photography of Dorothy Bohm
- American Masters – Dorothea Lange: Grab a Hunk of Lightning
- Andy Wharhol
- Amy (Amy Winehouse)
- Garry Winogrand: All Things are Photographable
- American Masters – Pedro E. Guerrero: A Photographer’s Journey
- Ansel Adams: A Documentary Film
- John Szarkowski: A Life in Photography
- Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser
- Marley (Bob Marley)
- Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise
- Charles Mingus: Triumph of the Underdog
- Don’t Blink – Robert Frank
Download The List: